The ultimate guide for Mushroom Substrate
Are you considering growing mushrooms? If you are, then you’ll need to consider several things, the most important of which is the type of substrate you’ll be using.
What is mushroom substrate?
The mushroom substrate is where your mushrooms will grow. It needs to be somewhere where the mushroom mycelium can get all the nourishment and moisture it needs.
What is it made of?
Mushroom substrates are commonly a blend of natural ingredients. The most common substrate ingredients are:
- Soy Hulls
- Hardwood Sawdust
- Coffee Grounds
Different types of mushrooms grow best in different types of substrates, so you should research which substrate is best for the type of mushroom you would like to grow.
How do you make it and what materials to use?
Straw Substrate Preparation Methods
- Heating the straw to over 145 degrees Fahrenheit and leaving it for two hours.
- Soaking the sawdust in a lime and water mixture for 16 hours.
- Allowing microorganisms to grow on the straw by soaking in water until it starts to emit an odor.
Coffee Grounds Preparation Method
These are an easy option because they require no preparation.
Soy Hulls and Sawdust
- Soak the hulls in hot water at the ratio of 700ml to 2.5 cups.
- Leave them to soak overnight. They should then be broken up.
- Mix it with sawdust and then sterilize 15PSI for 2.5 hours.
Coco Coir And Vermiculite
- Add 8 cups of vermiculite and 16 cups of water to 1.5 lbs coco coir.
- Leave the mixture to soak for an hour
- Stir until mixture is completely combined then allow it to cool.
Where do you keep a mushroom substrate?
Mushroom substrates can be stored in a variety of places ranging from clear plastic bags to mason jars. Different mushrooms have different temperature requirements, but they all require dark or low light conditions.
Get the best mushroom grow bags
Unicorn Grow Bags provides premium quality pre- filtered unicorns at a cost-effective price. Our bags provide the optimal conditions for successful mushroom growth. If you’re seeking to do commercial-scale mushroom farming without spending an arm and a leg, then we have your back. In addition to our standard sizing, we also offer custom unicorns with filters sized to suit any project you’re undertaking.
Find your unicorn today!